Who We Are
General inquiries: email@example.com
Download: HSSC General Brochure
(Adobe PDF Document)
- The Humane Society of Scott County (HSSC) has been an advocate for the humane care of all animals in Scott County, Iowa, since 1902.
- We are one of the thousands of animal shelters across the United States that receive so many animals and so few resources. An average of 500 pets arrive at the HSSC each month. About 80% come to us as strays and the rest are surrendered by owners who can no longer keep or care for their pets.
- The HSSC is a non-profit 501(c) 3 organization funded entirely by donations, adoption fees and a fee charged to the city and county for the care of the animals.
- We work hard to find responsible loving homes for lost, abandoned and unwanted pets. We do not discriminate based on breed or age.
- We believe that it is wrong for anyone to fail to provide any animal with food, water, shelter, necessary medical care and companionship.
- We feel that the tragic state of pet overpopulation in the United States is every pet owner’s responsibility. We urge you to join with us in our efforts to control dog and cat populations and eliminate the need for euthanasia by spaying or neutering your pet.
- Policies for the shelter are regulated by the Board of Directors and implemented by Executive Director Pamela Arndt and the shelter staff.
What We Do
- We give shelter and care to approximately 6,000 animals every year.
- We provide vital information to the public about animal care and safety, pet overpopulation and the importance of spaying and neutering through educational programs presented to schools, civic organizations and other interested groups.
- We investigate and take action on neglect, abuse, injured animal and other types of pet matters and assist the police, sheriff’s, fire and health departments.
- We offer many volunteer opportunities for youth and adults who want to help improve the lives of homeless animals in our care.
- We provide pet behavior counseling and pet care tips to answer questions and help make life with pets all that it can and should be.